Why stay plugged?Web analytics can't exist in a vacuum. That is, web analytics has to go beyond Web measurement and be put in the business context. Collaboration and relationships needs to be nurtured with marketing & communication, but also with sales & services groups, even R&D, human resources, finance have a stake on the Web. In a way, the web analyst needs to do some kind of a SWOT of each of the stakeholder in order to put his/her analysis in the right context and come up with recommendations that will "speak" to the business.
Detailed study resultsWeb analysts where asked to rate, on a scale ranging from "Strongly Disagree" to "Strongly Agree", their feeling about staying plugged into the business context:
- I really concentrated on this, spending some real quality time on it.
- This was on my mind, but at a subconscious level; didn't really have to concentrate on it.
- I'm excited by it; it is something that makes me happy.
- I did not feel like I could avoid this; it was necessary or imperative.
- I chose to focus on this; it was voluntary.
- I might have suffered negative consequences if I didn't pay attention to this; it was not necessarily positive.
Note: Sample size of 34 web analysts surveyed from April 26th trough June 6th 2007.
Skills for staying plugged into the business context
- Expertise in the specific field addressed by the business
- Leadership and ability to work with a multidisciplinary team
- Business analysis skills and ability to utilize information for actionable recommendations
- Solid presentation and communication skills
- Problem solving and decision making skills